Monday, October 30, 2017

The Marathon Metaphor

I've often heard many a comparison between the marathon and arduous struggles. It has always made sense to me as I have experienced the physical and psychological speed bumps discovered through 26 miles of running. During my run this weekend I was thinking through the joys and pains of running and thought I'd take this autumn running season to reflect. If this post doesn't receive many views so be it, if you are the future me, your welcome, you've been here before and you will be here again, this too shall pass.

Running during this time of year is exhilarating! There is a crisp fresh air that cools the nostrils, there is a fresh dew on the ground that blankets the dust, and there is the fresh smell of leaves on the ground. Sometimes I have to stop as I notice a wonderful view that was obscured through the summer by a large Maple tree. Sometimes I stop to observe the fungi taking over a patch of decomposing mulch. Sometimes I think back at all the runs I have enjoyed and the injuries I've had. Here come the metaphors! One step at a time, never stop trying, keep moving forward, even running backwards gets you to the finish ( I use this one when I'm cramping bad and need to transfer fatigue to other muscles) and it's the journey not the destination, etc....

So I think back at some of these times as I work through another strained lower back injury and remember all the other times I've had to throttle myself after trying to hard an injuring myself.

I'm not alone in this and some other runners will nod in agreement and have their own stories. Here are the times I was broken and out of commission.

Sprained Ankle ( too many to count, maybe 20 or more?) recovery (2-8 weeks)
Hamstring ( both legs, different years both from Kenpo not running) recovery (3-4 months)
Lower Back Muscle ( one of the worst so far, during a 10k no less) recovery ( 6 months and outright terror during rehabilitation)
Foot Muscle (somewhere between mile 18 and 24, I think I was crying at the finish line) recovery (3 months and tender for much longer)
Fractured Metatarsal ( again a freaking 10k, fell on my face the next morning trying to get out of bed ) recovery (8 weeks and mostly only walking for awhile)

All in all it's been a roller coaster of highs and lows but nevertheless I always feel the most alive out on there kicking some trail. There are many a metaphor but to wrap this up, YOU'LL BE FINE, find another hobby in the meantime, and soon, sooner than you can imagine, RUN!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment