Saturday, February 22, 2014

Marathon Training Week 1, Damn Sprained Ankle

So if running has ever been a paralleled metaphor for life this just had to happen. The first week of training started off and sure enough I caught the edge of an office chair and rolled my left ankle again. I can't recall how many this makes it, but my left ankle has taken more than two dozen rolls and sprains. With that said I thought I'd reflect on my approach to training with a sprained ankle and offer some insight on what or what not to do. This is according to me with the DISCLAIMER: damn it I'm a runner not a doctor!

But................Luckily I know someone who is! Dr. Kotarski is a Naturopathic Doctor in Seattle's Ballard District. The first course of action was of course Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Having been down this path before I carry (2) ace bandages, (2) Mueller ankle braces, (1) Mueller knee brace, and several ibuprofen.  The second course was a combination of three prescriptions that I can't pronounce so you'll have to check out her website.

The sprained ankle occurred on Friday with a scheduled 6 miler for Saturday. Nope, no go, I was hobbled. So I set in motion my plans for cross training and core work that did not involve pounding my feet against the pavement. Simple sit-ups, leg lifts from the floor, push-ups, and alot of stretches. I will most likely be adding Yoga which will also be a first for me, but that might have to be another post. I started looking for a new bicycle as well so I could continue working on my leg condition and anaerobic conditioning.

Sunday I actually had full movement of my ankle so all wrapped up we went for a hike up in the hills. Surprisingly I made the 4 mile hike with no problem and was able to enjoy the views I normally pass by on my runs. So by Tuesday I had schemed that I was all patched up and ready to go. I decided after work I would try my regular after work run and see how I could do. I have been using Queen Anne for hill training and I figure two or three miles with those hills will be worthy of a workout and keep the pounding on my ankle to a minimum. I was able to complete my runs but they were short, two on Tuesday and my ankle was sore, four on Wednesday and I felt ok, three on Thursday and felt great so I completed an eight miler on Saturday around Lake Youngs.

This was probably not a recommended approach but I do not sit still very well. This ankle sprain recovery was the fastest I have ever experienced and I thought I should put that out there for anyone trying to recover from that blast of defeat you feel when you fall on your ass in pain hearing ligaments tearing apart in your ankle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment